Introduction to a Pixel and API
The new Conversion API and Facebook Pixel will allow you to track your Facebook advertising return, but they have unique functions from each other.
Many people make the mistake of thinking these two tools do the same thing, but they don’t.
The Conversion API helps advertisers see how many conversions their ads have generated on Facebook.
The new Facebook Pixel enables marketers to better target users engaged with their business.
To put it simply, the biggest difference between the two is that the Conversion API does not show the entire journey of the customer, only the end result, whereas the Pixel shows the whole path.
These features offer businesses a more in-depth look at what is working well for them on social media and help generate valuable insights into optimising campaigns going forward.
iSO 14 update impact
Just keep in mind that iOS 14 updates have an impact on Facebook Ads functions and tracking for app and web conversion events. This directly impacts ad personalisations and performance reporting. It appears that there is no impact on any Google ads to date.
Differences between Facebook Pixel and Conversion API
I am sure that by now you have realised that there is a clear distinction between a Facebook Pixel and a Conversion API.
And despite the integration within each other, the Facebook Pixel and Conversion API, as business tools, have some key differences in their functionality.
These differences play a huge role in both tools working together as a unit to help improve your product and brand performance across your business page on Facebook.
However, the biggest difference between the two is that the Conversion API does not show the entire journey of the customer, only the end result, whereas the Facebook Pixel shows the whole path.
On the other hand, the Conversion API updates ad tracking by assisting the bypass issues like long load times, poor network connections, and even ad blockers.
Conversions API versus Facebook Pixel
Facebook Pixel allows businesses to monitor how effective their product or service advertisements are on Facebook.
It measures what people do when they land on your website, where they click and which pages they visit, as well as the number of downloads made from that particular campaign.
Facebook Pixel helps digital marketing agencies and businesses, in general, to understand which ads work best with their customers by monitoring user activity.
Conversion API is also a nifty tool for business owners to share essential online and offline events straight from your server to Facebook’s server. This tool shares customer actions on your business page on Facebook to Facebook’s server where the Facebook Pixel analyses it to help you improve your Facebook ad campaigns. This tool is fairly recent as it has only been a few months since its launch.
How does the Facebook Pixel work?
Here is a basic guide on how Facebook Pixel works as a tool:
- The essential information for the creation of superior Facebook ads and targeting them to your preferred audience can be done through the Facebook Pixel
- It also helps you see how the customers are interacting with your products and business page after they view your Facebook ad
- A Pixel enables you to track Pixel data for Facebook ad optimization for specific conversion events across your business page
How does a Conversions API work?
Here is a basic guide on how a conversion API works as a tool:
- The Conversion API functions enable you to control the data you share, and have been designed to give you more authority over the data you share and when you share
- By using Conversion API you can measure customer actions in more ways than by just using the Facebook Pixel. You can get visibility into your customer’s entire journey on your page
- It also helps you in the improvement of the accuracy of information sent for ad targeting, measurement, and optimization when used as an extension to the Facebook Pixel
How to use the Facebook Pixel?
Here is a basic guide on how to use the Facebook Pixel:
- Go to the Pixel section on your Facebook Business page
- Click on the “Create a Pixel”
- Type out a name for your Pixel
- Click on “Install Pixel Now”
- Copy the base code of the Pixel
- Paste that code between the tags on each web page or in your website template
- This will install the Pixel on your entire business page
- To manage your Pixels you need to get to the new Facebook Pixel analytics screen
- Go to https://www.facebook.com/analytics/ or click on “Facebook Pixel Analytics” from the Facebook Ads menu
- Select what you want to analyze, whether it be your Page’s data, your Pixel’s data, or even your App’s data
How to use the Conversion API?
Here is a basic guide on how to use the Conversion API:
- Go to the “Events Manager” on your Facebook Business page
- Select the Pixel that you want to link to the Conversion API
- Click on “Add Events” present below the activity graph
- Select the “Using the Conversion API” option
- Click on “Install code manually”
- Read the overview to understand what you are looking for and click Continue
- Select the events that you want to send with the help of the Conversion API
- The event recommendations have a drop-down menu on the basis of the type of business that you can use
- Click Continue
- Select the parameters to send for each event you have selected
- Click Continue
- Review your events and parameters one last time to make sure everything is in order
- Lastly, click on “Confirm Setup” to finish
Conversion API or Facebook Pixel?
So, which Is the best choice for your business?
The simple answer to this is both!
The best possible choice for a business page to employ is using the Conversion API in addition to Facebook Pixel.
Consumer privacy policies keep becoming more and more strict. Due to this, websites that have third-party trackers will need to adapt to this change. Ad blockers are causing many businesses to lose their profits.
Thus Conversion API can easily help businesses avoid these issues while also providing the essential information to keep digital and social media marketing campaigns impeccable.
And then with the help of a Facebook Pixel, one can improve your ad campaign performance where customers do not have ad blockers in place.
So, here is your challenge…
There really isn’t much left to say here…
So, if you want the maximum benefits from the Facebook Pixel and Conversions API tools, then you want to install and run both.
Try it out and tell us how it is working for you.
If you need assistance with digital marketing, please click on this link and contact us.